[thechat] Mandrake Linux

Chris Evans chris at fuseware.com
Tue Jan 29 15:19:19 CST 2002

Grep is used to search for text in files.  The format of the command is
"grep pattern file".  If you try to use it like "grep file", it thinks you
are looking for the filename in the standard input.

To search for a file name, you can use "find / -name filename", replacing
the / with the appropriate subdirectory.

Hope that helps,

Chris Evans
chris at fuseware.com
http://www.fuseware.com