[thechat] Fucked Up US Educational System.

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Jan 29 15:24:00 CST 2002

Erika Meyer wrote:

> Separating college-bound students from trade-bound students seems a
> bit harsh to our US notions of equality, and I would indeed expect
> that in a diverse place like the US, racism would be a big hurdle.
> But I dunno, maybe it's more realistic & fairer to everyone.

I completely agree. The reality is that not everyone is going to go to a
4 year college, yet High School more or less assumes that everyone will
go to college. But this kind of distinction would explode our cultural
misapprehension that there is no such thing as "class" in the USA. There
is, we simply deny it.

Just because everyone *can* go to college doesn't mean we have to assume
everyone *will* go to college when we design high school curriculum.

	- joe <http://artlung.com/>