[thechat] skools

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Jan 29 16:20:00 CST 2002

Dean Mah wrote:

> But that aside.  I'm all for them, or whoever, getting what they can
> and what the market will pay.  However, my point was that teachers are
> getting paid a small amount to start but so are a lot of people and I
> don't necessarily believe that increasing pay is the solution.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a whole solution. But certainly, the
mediocre pay scales in teaching don't /contribute/ to excitement and
enthusiasm for teaching as a career.

I originally went into medicine for partly altruistic reasons, but the
fact that the wages were generous at the time for my specialty certainly
helped my enthusiasm. :-) But then, there was rigor imposed on me as a
professional, to excel, to do continuing education, to be licensed and
certified by various bodies. From what I have seen, the same kind rigor
is not often applied to teachers.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>