[thechat] skools

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Jan 29 17:17:00 CST 2002

Dean Mah wrote:

> Joe Crawford writes:
>

>>I don't think anyone thinks it's a whole solution. But certainly,
>>the mediocre pay scales in teaching don't /contribute/ to excitement
>>and enthusiasm for teaching as a career.
>
> But do you want the people who do *not* have excitement and enthusiasm
> for their profession and are only there for the money?  Do you want
> someone who couldn't give a rat's ass about educating your children in
> there teaching because the pay is good?  Oh wait, that's university.

I don't care if someone cares as long as it appears they care.

Do I give a fuck if my surgeon (sheesh, I'm a potty mouth today!) has
excitement and enthusiasm for their profession? No, I care if they can
reattach my arm properly.

And as I go through life, I realize that most people are in jobs they
are not happy with. But bathrooms need cleaning. Taxes need collecting.
Someone must wash dishes.

I consider myself lucky to have held many jobs I have enjoyed and even
had passion for.

> In my simplistic mind, you do what you do because you love it and not
> because it pays well.

It's a hopeful view, but that's not how everyone is motivated. For some
people, they are driven by family/spouse/children, and their job is a
secondary feature of their lives. The job is simply a means to an end. I
can't say I object to this point of view outright.

The key then, is to put systems in place that require people without
passion and enthusiasm to nevertheless do a good job.

> Why else would I work on open source projects
> and online communities?  It sure doesn't pay anything but I love it.
>
> That's not to say you shouldn't want money but it shouldn't be the
> only thing that makes you happy about your work.

Interesting take.

	- joe <http://artlung.com/>