[thechat] Since I sent the other P.o.W quote...

dave mclean dave at members.evolt.org
Wed Jan 30 00:51:01 CST 2002

Here's another....

 No amount of Orwellian redefinition -- "detainees" for "prisoners,"
 "unlawful combatants" for "prisoners of war," "armed conflict" for
 "war" -- relieves us of our obligation to treat our fellow humans
 decently, particularly in the wake of Sept. 11.  It is up to the
 United States and its closest allies to maintain the moral
 distinction between ourselves and our enemies by behaving humanely.

 - Canadian Member of Parliament John Godfrey questions his
   government's decision to hand over prisoners of war without
   guarantees under the Geneva Convention.

Despite this quote our Special Forces are already in Afghanistan taking
prisoners for the U.S. Forces.  Sadly the Federal Government denied knowing
about it.  Even the Prime Minister. Which is ironic because you'd think he'd
be the first to know.  Hmm....

____
damclean 403.708.6215
dave at members.evolt.org