[thechat] dosh?

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 31 20:07:00 CST 2002

At 9:15 AM +1030 2/1/02, isaac wrote:
>  > Most of the NZ vocabulary originates from the UK, but this morning my
>>  partner and I settled a long running debate re: daddy-long-legs --
>>  are they spiders or insects? (insects have to have six legs?... lol)
>>  :)
>>
>>  We follow the US: and daddy-long-legs are spiders. Apparently in the
>>  UK it's the name for some sort of flying thing.
>
>dosh = money in AU also.

Ok - thanks all for the pointers.

We don't have any Africans here, do we? Huh...looks like that's the
only continent we're missing (aside from Antarctica). You'd think
we'd have at least a couple from RSA...they're fairly well wired.

>and a daddy-long-legs is a spider. quite poisonous (have heard most
>poisonous in AU?), but unable to penetrate the skin with a bite. puny little
>bastards. can be fun to gradually pull their legs off.

I've heard the same thing here. Very poisonous in equal venom
volumes, but the bite is so small that you hardly ever get anything.

Do you have kissing bugs? It's in the assassin bug family, and they
spread Chagas disease. Very nasty. We have them here in Texas, and I
think they're common in South America.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/newsroom/focuson/bugborne01/chagas.htm

>i've not yet eaten one of this type.

I still don't get your fascination with eating bugs...or spiders, as
the case may be.

bob

--
bob davis