[thechat] dosh?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Fri Feb 1 07:34:00 CST 2002

Hi gang,

Actually all spiders are venomous, although most are relatively harmless
to humans.  I'm pretty sure they are all carnivorous as well ... I don't
think we have any vegan spiders.   ;-)

[Former docent guy champing at the bit to point out that 'poisonous' is
when you get sick for biting it (like an Amanita) ... 'venomous' is when
you get sick cuz it bit you.]

In Australia, these folks http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/anaes/spiders.html
say you have two nasty spiders - the funnel-web and the red back ... as
well as the nasty paralysis tick that are all capable of causing death.
Unless, of course, you have some kind of severe allergic reaction ...

RonL.
(In the U.S. I've always considered the Daddy Long Legs to be
'harmless'.  They seem to be pretty prevalent all over the country.
I've got a great shot I took through the screen door of a cabin I was
renting a few years ago that was just covered by dozens and dozens of
the little buggers.  I'll have to find that and scan it in.  I've titled
the shot "Mmmmmm ... Making Spiders" cuz, ... well, just cuz ...)