[thechat] Trek was 'Scape

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Mon Feb 4 20:30:00 CST 2002

>Seems to me that Riker was pretty much always ready to
>shoot first and ask questions later, no?

Yeah. No surprise that he wasn't given command of the Enterprise, until the
last episode where he's got that big Klingon-smashing gun ship. Picard's
lot were all pretty diplomatic. Then you had DS9 and it all got a bit
"hostile frontier". Finally you have Janeway's "we're lost but we have
superior technology and spandex, let's blow some shit up".

I must admit, I became a fan of Voyager during later seasons. I don't kid
myself it was for the acting (lacklustre), scripts (repetitive), or
characters (Berman and Braga proving it is possible to create a series with
single-dimensional character and force it down paramount's throat for seven
painful years). Nope, I had two good reasons: Jeri Ryan. ;-P

Still, nothing Trek have done so far (still waiting to see about
Enterprise, it's had a promising start) even comes close to being as good
as even the worst episodes of B5 and 'scape.

Seb.