[thechat] hardware issue - motherboard dies on power down after lengthy on period

Isaac Forman isaac at triplezero.com.au
Sun Feb 10 18:40:01 CST 2002

Anyone seen this before?

PC on for a long time - 30-120 days straight. Powered down for a few hours
(moving house). Then doesn't start up after that. Motherboard seems to be
dead (power supply fan runs, SCSI burner powers, but no other action).

Has happened to me before (different motherboard I think).

My machines are custom-built, so no cheap, shitty brand components.

Anyway, is this scenario common? Is it avoidable?

I assume that most development/gaming boxes don't run that long without
powering down, so I'm hoping for some insight from people who may have
experienced this with servers.

TIA,

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au