[thechat] Top 10 Things to remember when launching a rented-list email campaign

Shaun Anderson shaunanderson at shaunanderson.info
Wed Feb 13 16:55:01 CST 2002

As some of you may remember I asked some questions on theList about HTML
e-mails.  Well, today they sent the e-mails (and it appears that my cynical
estimate of 150 is going to be just about right ;-) )

A guy at work came up with these, (he's actually the project lead on this
project) and I thought some of you might find it amusing.

Top 10 Things to remember when launching a rented-list email campaign

10. Take a sleeping pill the night before the campaign launches.

9. Take a valium the day the campaign launches.

8. Be prepared to say the word F$@K a lot more frequently than you normally
would.

7. Be prepared to hear the word F$@K a lot more frequently than you normally
would.

6. Be prepared to be lied to.

5. Never, ever, ever, trust Americans.

4. Try not to spend the whole day watching the results come in.

3. When picking your number for the pool, aim low.

2. Try to get your test message the day before the campaign launches, so
you're not sitting at your computer at 2:00 PM still waiting to sign off on
the mailout that is supposed to happen that day.

And, the number 1 thing to remember when launching a rented list email
campaign is:

When someone says their list has a 75% HTML acceptance rate, laugh your ass
off.