[thechat] lox, smoked salmon (was Re: SQL, gif, e-mail... (was Re: who thought *this* was a good idea?))

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Fri Feb 22 12:42:01 CST 2002

At 09:16 AM 2/22/2002, you typed:
>John Handelaar wrote:
>
>>Anyway, then I remembered this... what is it you people
>>call smoked salmon again?
>
>Here at the Pacific coast (where we have real salmon) we call it smoked
>salmon.
>
>You might be referring to that East Coast thing they call Lox.  Which is
>more of a spread that contains smoked salmon I believe.
>
>Judah

Here in California where we also have good salmon, and we have both "smoked
salmon" and "lox."

<http://home.t-online.de/home/vsack/rfc_faq0.html#3>
LOX - Brine-cured salmon, which may or may not be also cold-smoked.

Lox is "prepared" differently, as noted in the definition above.

The lox that I've typically had all my life comes in very thin slices (it's
not a spread, although of course it can be made into a spread like anything
else). And I especially enjoy it on a bagel with cream cheese. Lox is also
a common part of kosher Jewish foods.

Makes me hungry for lunch and it's only 10:30am here..... <grin>

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Website Design, Development      http://www.skdesigns.com/