[thechat] A clear lack of understanding

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Mar 1 14:21:01 CST 2002

George Bush, once again, today showed me that he has no clear grasp on a
number of important concepts.  He was asked today about the recent court
decision forcing the Department of Energy to release documents related
to Cheney's Energy Task Force.  He said:

"We listened to energy companies, which seems to make sense. If you're
developing an energy plan, one place to start is to listen to people who
know something about the business. We also listened to environmental
groups. We listened to people that were concerned about how to create
more conservation," he said.

Concerned about how to create more conservation?  Conservation == Using
Less != to Making More

There is this deep seated lack of understanding that is highly developed
on the Republican side (although certainly not absent on the Democratic
side) that absolutely equates development with growth.  Bigger is
better.  Progress requires growth.

Growth is fundamentally not sustainable.  Unchecked growth is cancer.
Until its recognized that unchecked growth within a system of finite
resources is suicide, we will continue to hurtle toward an ugly
extinction.

Humans have all the characteristics of a weed species.  Able to adapt to
and exploit any environment.  But weeds are not known for being very
smart.  Clever, yes, but not smart.  It makes me feel bad about my
species sometimes.

Enough ranting for now.  Must go increase blood sugar.

Judah