[thechat] networking fun and a stupid question

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser at skdesigns.com
Sun Mar 10 00:34:00 CST 2002

I'm finally getting around to networking my computers this weekend (I know,
it shoulda been done long ago). All is going along great with 2 of them,
got the ethernet hub set up, cables, etc. (yeah, really tough.... plug 'em
in, run the cables, and connect them.... duh).

Then there's the 3rd computer and with it comes my stupid question.

I don't have an available slot in the back of the 3rd computer to drop in
the network card (they're all used up). Is there anything I can do about
that besides take out some other card or connect instead via phone lines?
I've been using PCAnywhere to connect it with my main computer when needed,
but in the fuzzy recesses of my brain I think I remember something about
being able to connect them directly with a phone line, cable or something,
can't I? But it may not be as nifty as with my network setup, though, either.

The 3rd computer has Windows 98se on it (the others have Win2000 and came
with network cards). This 3rd computer is in a separate room but is only
about 6 feet away from my main computer. It's also in the central spot
where I put the hub.... too bad I can't just plug it in to it. The 3rd
computer is also set up for my music equipment for recording into it, etc.

Well, I'm impressing my kids to no end with all this ;-)  especially since
their dad (my ex-husband) only recently learned that you actually need to
MOVE the mouse... I'm not kidding.

Big thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser at skdesigns.com
Website Design, Development      http://www.skdesigns.com/