[thechat] networking fun and a stupid question

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Sun Mar 10 01:54:00 CST 2002

At 10:53 PM 3/9/2002, you typed:

Ah, yes, I have 2 USB ports, and I can free up one of those easily. So,
there's hope here, huh?

>CompUSA etc. will have what you need and it won't be to pricey.

OK. I see one online by Belkin, for example
<http://www.allusb.com/products/P11497.html>

and I checked a few prices
<http://www.kinzone.net/catalog/S40/G500:P1200267/!SIDFMe0UrsOtP/>
<http://www.allusb.com/products/P10767.html>

and one by Netgear, which is the same brand as my Ethernet hub, too:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002EQD2/>

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000631YS/> -- This one's $29.99
to buy via Amazon.com, and pick up at my local Circuit City.

Prices are running anywhere from about $35-$55. OK, I can live with that,
especially considering what a difference it will make.

So one end will plug in to my USB port, the other end will plug in to the
network cable. And then the network cable will plug in to the Ethernet hub.
Makes sense.

>I don't think
>you'll find a way to use the modem as a net connection.

Only the PCAnywhere approach, which is REALLY slow!!

>If not, you're really going to have to free up a slot of some kind. Sorry.

Well, I could give up the scanner on that computer and maybe fiddle around,
but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

So I'll give the USB adapter a try first. That sounds like a reasonable
enough and simple approach.

Thanks for the suggestion, Hugh. I figured there had to be a way. So Sunday
I'll head over to the computer store and give this a try.

Thank you!

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com