wireless joy (was RE: [thechat] networking fun and a stupid quest ion)

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Sun Mar 10 01:54:03 CST 2002

>  >Heh! I've spent a good part of the day wiring patch cables and
>>sockets at my new offices.
>
>Death to cables! I'm working on making my whole house wireless.

Nice!

Although I'm very happy to now competently wield a crimping tool and
know the difference between T568A and T568B wiring. USOC's got me
kinda confused, but, sheesh, who on earth uses that?

If we didn't have cables there'd be nothing for the animals (Vanessa
and I tend to pronounce that with an 'emm' at the start, much to our
shame) to maul.

>And if the content providers in the US continue the
>trend toward wireless delivery for the last 50 feet, you end up with a fully
>wireless home (outside the electricity.)

The new offices are serviced by a bidirectional wireless internet
connection direct from the tallest building in Australasia (AFAIK) --
still, we need routers, switches, etc. I kinda like having physical
access to network plugs, especially when someone else in the office
is beating me at counter-strike. :)

Cheers
Andrew