[thechat] networking fun and a stupid question

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Sun Mar 10 02:08:01 CST 2002

At 11:20 PM 3/9/2002, you typed:
>>but in the fuzzy recesses of my brain I think I remember something about
>>being able to connect them directly with a phone line, cable or something,
>>can't I? But it may not be as nifty as with my network setup, though, either.
>
>Hi!
>
>Hugh answered the ethernet side, but what I think you're remembering
>(and I only  vaguely remember them too -- way back to networking DOS
>and Amiga boxen) are serial connections between machines. Kinda like
>modem connections but without the MOdulator-DEModulator bit. To be
>honest, it's probably not worth the hassle.

Ah ha! Yep, I think that's what I'm remembering. OK, thanks for the advice
on that, too.

><snip>
>>Well, I'm impressing my kids to no end with all this ;-)  especially since
>>their dad (my ex-husband) only recently learned that you actually need to
>>MOVE the mouse... I'm not kidding.
>
>Heh! I've spent a good part of the day wiring patch cables and
>sockets at my new offices. Lots of fun -- my first patch cable ever
>(and it WORKED!) took an hour (I blame the single strand wire which
>was a bitch to straighten), the last one took all of 5 mins. Yay!
>What a way to spend a Sunday.

Yes, well, now you know how I spent my Saturday night. <chuckle> It was
actually fun, though. Maybe I need to worry that I'd find something like
this fun, but with the TV going, a good beer and good snacks, I enjoyed the
much needed peace and quiet and watching the magic happen getting the
network all set up. Fortunately it was all so easy and went smoothly....
until I hit computer #3. But with all of you tossing in ideas, it looks
like a quick run to the store tomorrow for a USB adapter will take care of it.

>  I brought home one of the cables to
>show Vanessa -- she wasn't over impressed at all -- the cats thought
>it was GREAT! :-)

<ROFL> Ah, that's funny.....

Thanks, Andrew!

Warmly,