[thechat] networking fun and a stupid question

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Sun Mar 10 02:24:01 CST 2002

>Hmmm.... well, but I'm still using a dial-up modem to go online. People
>have told me that I can get online with one computer and then have them all
>online. Is that correct even with a modem and dial-up?

Yup! Win types can fill in the how-to gaps. In New Zealand it's
cheaper to have an ADSL line + phone than to have two phone lines.
Even the traffic charges for ADSL tend to work out cheaper than the
charge-per-minute dial-up costs for most people. Some ADSL modems
even come with a built in hub or switch, so it's a win-win situation.
I don't know what the charges are like in your area, but since you've
wired the house this might be a good time to look into getting a
dedicated connection.