[thechat] Cell Phone Recommendations

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Mon Mar 11 18:06:00 CST 2002

OK, it's cell phone upgrade time for me.

I need a new cell phone and/or cell phone provider.  Currently I have a
Motorola StarTac on Verizon and I don't really like the phone and the
network always seems to be down when I need it to work.

I've done some research but I'm hoping you guys can help me out here.  I
only need a phone with a few features:

   - U.S. Nationwide coverage
   - Small Profile (No external antennas to jab me in the side)
   - Wireless e-mail would be nice.  Wireless web would be nicer.  Neither
are a requirement.
   - But most of all, decent, reliable service.  I don't need extra hassles
from a device I already don't like.

I don't need many minutes, I rarely use what I already have, so, I don't
want to pay a small fortune for the phone or for the service.

So far, I've been leaning towards the Nokia 8290:
<http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/8290/1,4511,,00.html>

And, as for service, I have no idea.  I've heard bad things about almost
all of the major providers (Verizon, Voicestream, AT&T, Cingular, Sprint),
so I'm not sure what to believe.

This one looked promising, though:
<http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/wireless_service/plan_features/1,4519,977715|71974|75226|0|0|~Vm9pY2VTdHJlYW0gV2lyZWxlc3M=,00.html>

Any recommendations anyone can give me would be very helpful.

Thanks!

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/

     If you save the world too often, it begins to expect it.