[thechat] Cell Phone Recommendations

Tamara Abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Mon Mar 11 20:20:01 CST 2002

At 02:50 AM 3/12/2002 +0200, Lauri Vain wrote:
>I only know a thing or two about the phones of Ericsson (one of my
>employers), so I can only share my knowledge about that. I hope somebody
>else will be able to enlight other options from other companies.

Sorry Lauri, I know you work for Ericsson, but Ben, do _not_ get an
Ericsson. I've had mine for about 1.5 years and the finish started flaking
off within the first month -- and that left a few sharp edges so I had to
go buy a case. Guess what? Ericsson's in the USA are not very popular so
almost all the accessories are geared toward Nokia. That's o.k., I took a
snip here and there and made that little thing fit anyway (well, sort of
and at least I don't get cut anymore).

Next problem that occurred before the phone was 1 year old, the little
hook-up things in the bottom broke. Ericsson has it's own funky plugs and
they are _extremely_ delicate so I've been through 3 ear bud things and,
no, the plugs are not compatible with any other phone.

Now, as for AT&T, I don't travel a lot, but when I do it's nice to know the
phone works. My daughter used to sell service for what is now Verizon and
if you live in a rural area, Verizon, which took over a lot of rural
providers, does a decent job. Sprint PCS is still trying to put up the
towers to live up to their nationwide service claims -- I know that because
my son went with Sprint anyway and while he says it works great in the
major cities, if you get off the interstate you're out of luck.

My phone service works. I've got the regional plan so there's no roaming
charges within several states and long distance is included. I've received
calls in rural Wisconsin, rural Illinois, downtown Chicago and Ft. Knox,
Kentucky (which is _not_ in my region, but oh well). My service has worked
every time with very few dropped calls.

http://abbeyink.com/
AIM: TAM4RA or
AIM: AbbeyInk1