[thechat] Re: microsoft rant (part 2)

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Sat Mar 16 10:01:00 CST 2002

> The average Windows user wouldn't be using this tool.
> It's designed for network administrators.

well, duh

who is the network administrator for the average home user?

where did i go wrong, believing the hype that win2kpro is the best and most
stable windows? maybe i shouldn't have bothered with (or paid for!) the
upgrade from windows ME to 2kpro when i bought my dell?  although somehow i
think i'd still have similar problems keeping windows ME updated

you're implying that an ordinary person has no business trying to keep *any*
version of windows updated, and should leave it to their "network
administrator"

dude, that's what i'm so pissed off about -- microsoft keeps touting their
shit as easy to use (think bob, wizards, the paperclip, etc.) when it is
anything but

>                 > path\file.txt

actually, i knew about that  ;o)

that's how i grabbed the output to paste into my rant

but my point remains, not every home user is gonna have the same background
in DOS that i have

> ... go get those patches and install 'em anyway.

i have decided not to -- i don't allow java on my machine

> If you run the Windows Update regularly, you should be good to go.

hah!   you have definitely been assimilated!

thanks for the encouragement, joel

it didn't help, but i am warmed by your offer to be my network administrator

> Every version of win that I've used in the last 7 years
> has had a link in the start menu titled 'command prompt'
> probably under accessories. Cool, maybe that means I'm above average  ;)

thanks, mike, you were right, that's exactly where it is in win2k too

neat

now, why didn't i think of that?

*of course* the DOS command prompt is an "accessory"

rudy