[thechat] microsoft rant (part 2)

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 16 18:50:00 CST 2002

--- dave mclean <dave at members.evolt.org> wrote:
  I have never had the problems
> rudy's describing
> while using OSX (a fully functional UNIX-based OS btw).

I always found it really funny that MS got criticised for
stealing ideas from Apple's OSes, but Apple got praised by
heaps of people for stealing Unix. ;)

Seriously though, I don't think there is a single 'good' OS
out yet. There's decent ones, but they're all still way too
hard to use. Take for example networking - It should be
100% seamless. A computer gets plugged into the network. It
sends out a message to all computers on the netwrok. they
query it back to find out what OS it is, etc, and the
computers set the network up automatically doing that. Or
plugging new hardware like speakers in - why do we have to
restart? Or worry about drivers?

I can see why people can be easily scared of computers -
I've been using 'em half my life, and others of you have
been using them probably for my whole life (even longer)
and yet we still have problems with them.

Lach

Oh, and iMacs are ugly. ;P