[thechat] good, no-spyware replacement for Napster?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Mar 18 16:01:01 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 7:32 PM
Subject: RE: [thechat] good, no-spyware replacement for Napster?

> [kazaa snippage]
>
> fwiw, i still prefer kazaa over the rest that are available.
> when installing it you can choose to not install the spyware pieces.
> just make sure you read the text descriptions for each of the
> checkboxes in the install process *very* carefully.

well, I used ad-aware today with the latest signature files -
http://www.lavasoftUSA.com/ for those who don't know what ad-aware is, and
how cool a doze app it is - and it picked up that Kazaa (which I installed
yesterday) has an ad engine in it, which it classes as unpleasant, and
prompts you to delete.  When you delete it, Kazaa refuses to start, claiming
that a "part of KaZaA" has been uninstalled "that is needed to run", and you
can't run KaZaA anymore until you reinstall it.

I don't think I will to be honest.

on another note, Audiogalaxy _rocks_ :)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'