[thechat] LoTR question

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 14:32:00 CST 2002

Well, even though Nicole, Judah, Sean, and Martin have

already answered this question, I *have* to say *some*
thing!

--- Nicole Parrot <nicole at parrot.ca> wrote:
> they are immortal in Middle-Earth, until they choose
> to pass away and go
> West to the Havens, and cross the sea.

Even when they go west across the sea they go to the
"Undying Lands" and continue to be immortal in the
sense that has been put forth. And Elrond is actually
closer to 6500 years old. Elves were the firstborn
intelligences and were intended to last as long as
Middle-Earth lasted. Okay, I feel a long essay about
the history of ME coming on, but not all of you want
to read it and I gotta go work on some Perl scripts so
it'll have to wait.

Recently discovered (5 minutes ago) URL:

The Encyclopedia of Arda
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm

and an older one (discovered last week):

Tolkien Encyclopedia
http://www.flex.net/~layton2/encyc/frames/encycfrms.htm

So start reading! And do yourself a favor and start
with the Hobbit.

Terry
who is finally reading the Simarillion. (LotR prequel)