[thechat] conspiracies, was: [thelist] mainstream press and cookies

Lauri Vain lauri_vain at tharapita.com
Thu Mar 21 04:16:00 CST 2002

Hi Andrew,

> http://rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_paranoia.shtml

Now this is a good link!

My favorite:
"I was once using the generic telnet program on the library computers to
check my mail on UTM (the local university) with Pine. The
computer-inept librarian walked up behind me."

Her: (shrieking) "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???"
Me: "I'm checking my email--"
Her: "It looks like you're breaking into the computer!!"
Me: "No really -- I'm checking my mail."
Her: "But that's not HOTMAIL!!"
Me: "I don't use hotmail. I use--"
Her: "But EVERYONE uses HOTMAIL!!"
Me: "No, my account goes through UTM. My email account ends with--"
Her: "But that's not what MYYY UTM looks like!!" (apparently referring
to the UTM web page)
Me: "Yes, I'm telnetting. It's another way of accessing--"
Her: "I think you better shut that off. You're breaking into the
computer."
Me: "But I--"
Her: "Turn it off. I don't believe that 'checking mail' story."

Heh, my giggles and grins on that!

Yours,
Lauri
--