[thechat] Trojan

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Sat Mar 30 11:30:00 CST 2002

> How did the trojan come in? Was it piggybacked on an email or something?

Honestly don't know, I was rudely awakened by my wife yesterday morning
because mine is the gateway machine and she could not get onto the Internet,
so I am presuming it happened sometime overnight.
Oddly enough I had a panic call from a friend of mine yesterday who also got
a Trojan. He tried to explain the details over the phone but I couldn't
really make any sense of it so I went round there today to have a look at
it. It was so weird, Windows ME would boot but none of the programs would
work. If you clicked on a shortcut it came up "File not found", same as if
you went into the folder and clicked directly on the .exe file, nothing.
Even more bizarrely, none of the Windows system tools like defrag and system
restore work either. The machine boots, but nothing works. Anyway, I've
taken the machine home with me and found 3 Trojans on the system so, flushed
with my earlier success, I shall try to get rid of the infected files
manually (which means I shall probably completely hose the whole thing).

Wish me luck :)

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk