[thechat] Trojan

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Mon Apr 1 10:45:01 CST 2002

George Dillon wrote:
> RESULT:  I've not ditched NAV now, but I would advise getting a backup
> scanner for a second opinion when you're not sure about NAV and for every
> once in a while scanning your entire system in case NAV really DOES miss
> something.

One more note on this subject, and then I'll keep my mouth shut. :)

For your own safety, sanity, & peace of mind, don't let two AV programs
run at the same time. NAV, for example, has the "Auto-Protect" scanner
that sits in the background & watches for virus-like activity. Almost
all other AV programs have a similar function of some sort. Since these
functions are all trying to do the same thing, they will usually
conflict with each other, sometimes with disastrous results (like
missing a virus entirely). The least that they will do is cause some
degree of confusion. Remember, if you let one program automatically
repair or quarantine an infection, the other program won't necessarily
catch it.

However, having two virus scanner programs around to run *manually* is a
great idea. Update them & run them both once a week, and you're likely
to catch anything that comes up.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net