[thechat] Astigmata

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Apr 4 18:54:01 CST 2002

On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 12:19, Tara Cleveland wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to go back to the eye doctor again soon,
> cause I'm having trouble reading stuff on TV again :(
>
> Anyway, after all that I've got you all beat so far... I'm -8 in one eye and
> -7.5 in the other.
>
> Hoping I don't go blind this year... (26 is too young - I can't wait for
> bi-focals! (insert pathetic sad laugh here))

Hi Tara

Vanessa's eyes deteriorated in her 20s to just slightly worse than
yours. They've been stable the last 5 years (I can't say what her age is
now :P ); optometrists say they won't deteriorate again, short of an eye
disease, until she's in her 40s when natural weakening will start to
occur.

Apparently laser eye surgery is now advanced enough to repair eyesight
as bad as hers (-8.5, -7.5), and even worse cases. So there is hope!

Best,
Andrew