[thechat] daylight saving time

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Sat Apr 6 22:36:01 CST 2002

Daylight Savings Time is hoot up here, mostly because it really doesn't make
a lick of difference to anyone. By this time of year we're already getting
close to 14 hours of daylight in Anchorage, and the only reason that we even
participate is to maintain some semblance of concurrency with the rest of
the US. It wasn't so long ago that Alaska was consisted of 4 time zones.
Now, we're all one hour earlier than Pacific Time out to the Aleutians,
where they jump ahead another hour (same time zone as Hawaii). This despite
the fact that between the panhandle (Juneau) and the end of the Aleutian
chain, Alaska covers the same distance as the Continental US.

Little Diomede and Big Diomede Islands up in the Bering Straits have little
enough water between them that you can walk from one to the other in the
winter, but Big Diomede stayed with Russia, so it's on the other side of the
International Date Line. A friend of mine from up that way (the village of
Wales) likes to say "On a clear day you can see tomorrow." Wokka wokka
wokka.

Blah blah blah.

One more Alaskan fun fact. I figured out yesterday that this is where all
the clouds are born. Then they move south. I saw it happen. Yep.

http://www.kadmium.net/kadmium/photos/040602/pages/clouds03.htm

David