[thechat] Patti

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Apr 9 13:46:01 CDT 2002

my bf said he saw Patti on Regis.  I was kind of surprised by that,
but I guess, why not... if you can reach the Regis crowd, why not?

& good point about poetry vs. rock & audience crossing over...

I have to respect that.  To add music to the spoken word just adds a
lot of visceral power.  I've learned that too.  (would be a
professional poet if it paid the bills)

My impression about Patti (& I really just dance around the edges of
her, no hardcore fan by far) is that she is her own person, & lives
on her own planet.  I can see how she could move toward schmaltzy...
she's a mama, she's got a couple of almost grown kids.. & she's said
some things I just cannot relate to... there's something very "middle
America baby boomer" about her I can't really describe any other way.
Not that that's a bad thing... but...

To grow up is to mellow out, I guess.

Speaking of rock & daytime TV has anyone ever seen those early 70's
tapes of John & Yoko on the Mike Douglas show?  What a riot...
Douglas opens with this really smaltzy version of "Yesterday" and
credits John for writing it. John's like, "uh, no, actually that was
Paul's song..."

and it just gets better from there.  Over five days, they bring on
Ralph Nadar, Jerry Rubin (who really freaks everyone out, even though
he'd already mellowed some), & Chuck Berry who does a Johnny B Good
duet with John, etc, etc...
http://www.rhino.com/features/liners/2438lin3.html

but I digress.  I just got to thinking about rock n' roll on daytime TV.

Erika