[thechat] Google interview

Marlene Bruce marlene at digitizethis.com
Sat Apr 13 04:14:01 CDT 2002

Hey folks,

I'm pleased to report that I'm pretty sure the Google interview went
well. I had three interviews with four people over the course of
nearly three hours. Each interview segment ran over the allotted
time, which I generally take to be a good sign. As far as I can tell
there were no obvious duds in my answers (give me time to ponder,
though, and I'll fret my way into second-guessing myself).

These were unlike any interviews I've previously encountered. The
three segments largely consisted of me being given various problems
or scenarios and having to work out solutions--including preliminary
prototypes--on a white board, while asking (appropriate) probing
questions and describing my problem-solving process along the way.
One of the interviews even involved a minor amount of role-playing,
me as the UI designer and the interviewer as the "typical client."  I
don't recall being asked a single stereotypical interview question,
though there must have been one or two somewhere.

Some of you might be thinking, "I HATE problem-solving interviews,"
but I found the exercises very stimulating. Good thing I participated
in a year an a half of informal improv classes a few years back, or I
might have been fatally unnerved.

I got to interview with the fellow who'd contacted me about the job,
and just like the phone interview we definitely clicked. After
repeatedly looking at his watch and twice saying "I really should get
the next person, but I have another question I want to ask," he said
how much he'd enjoyed talking with me. It definitely seems he'll be
an advocate on my behalf, and that can't be a bad thing.

Progressing to the second round (which I've been told is much like
the first) may still fall through, but I feel encouraged.

:o)
Marlene