[thechat] Deconstructing blogs

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Sun Apr 14 18:22:01 CDT 2002

rudy wrote:

> dvorak has had that particular bee in his bonnet for months
>
>   http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-829478.html
>
> meryl.net, amongst several others, used to poke fun at him by including cat
> photos every once in a while
>
> the general consensus amongst bloggers is that dvorak is an idiot, a sad,
> lonely old white guy that doesn't get it
>
> his original articles were probably well intentioned but came across as
> being snotty and defensive and so traditional, e.g. "how can bloggers call
> themselves journalists when they haven't got the credentials we journalists
> have?"

Right, it's not journalism, but that doesn't make it a useful and
interesting phenomenon. Dvorak still thinks there's such a thing as an
official source, I think. I tend to think any of us , at any time, could
come through with important news for the whole planet.

Blogging is not the whole story - but it's a useful part.

I think of the 9/11 blogs which were interesting to me. Fascinating to
see instant history like that. This is altogether new, the ability to
put a message out to the whole planet, by anyone.

I certainly think dismissing it is the wrong move. But thinking it will
replace tv or newspapers is just silly. Hell, we still have radio news,
right?

There's room for lots of media in the world. :-)

	- joe