[thechat] ATA drives for Mac?

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Tue Apr 16 07:25:00 CDT 2002

At 11:52 AM +0100 4/16/02, Martin wrote:

>So the questions are:
>1) Is it possible to have a second drive (the very thought of the
>     data migration involved in a drive swap brings me out in a
>    cold sweat)

Yeah. I'm pretty sure you can add a second drive. There should be an
article similar to the B&W one for yours outlining the locations.

>2) Would any old ATA drive work or is there a special 'mac configuration'
>     needed? I'm thinking along the lines of
>     http://store.westerndigital.com/product.asp?sku=1638354
>    which should last until the end of the machine's useful life.

Any old drive should work. I personally wouldn't trust a Western
Digital drive, but some people do.
I like Seagate drives. IIRC, the box MEO lives on has a number of
Seagate Cheetah drives.  They're nice.

If I were you, I'd seriously think about getting an external firewire
drive. You would be able to move it easily from one machine to the
other.  Of course, you could do that with an internal as well.

bob

--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org