[thechat] ATA drives for Mac?

dave mclean dave at members.evolt.org
Tue Apr 16 20:22:03 CDT 2002

> So, I'm looking for an additional hard drive. I have ye olde
> beige G3 tower config, which has ATA drives plus a floppy
> (so I don't think http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58194
> applies).

Martin,

I have done this exact upgrade with this exact machine.  Unfortunately there
is no additional IDE/ATA slot so you'll more than likely have to get the
Sonnet add-on card.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo.html

This card allows you to ad two -count 'em- two additional drives!  Whoo
Hooo.  So basically you need the card and the drive, but it's a good
upgrade.  Makes sure your drive cable is long enough to go through all the
holes and still be able to close the case.  It's not exactly pie to install,
but it's fairly straight forward.

I have some Maxtor drives.  Same thing as Quantum.  Like Bob said, I'd stay
away from WD and Fujitsu... based on anecdotal experience.

If I were you though, I'd just buy a TiBook.

;-P

-d

____
damclean 403.708.6215