[thechat] toronto phoons

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Apr 23 00:02:00 CDT 2002

At 10:31 PM 4/22/2002, mattew wrote:

>And you never hear anyone on tv pronounce Montreal correctly either.

Most of the Western world can't pronounce "Nepal", "Punjab", "Ahmad",
"Tandoori", etc. properly either.

It's "Nay-paal", not "Nay-paul".

It's "Pun-jaab", not "Poon-jaab".

It's "Ehh-mud" (soft "d"), not "Ack-med". (there's no freakin' "k" sound in
there.)

It's "Tun-doori" (soft "t","n", and "d"), not "Tan-doori" (hard "d").

To be fair, many members of the Indian Sikh community (of whom there are
plenty in Toronto) pronounce it "Trranto". ;)

(You know the funny thing about Indian accents? There is no *one* accent.
People from each of the 27 states have a different accent. Some of these
are totally different from one another.)

Why did I just write all that? I really don't know... maybe I'm going nuts.

Cheers,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant