[thechat] toronto phoons

Paul Cowan paul at wishlist.com.au
Tue Apr 23 00:13:00 CDT 2002

Madhu wrote:
> Most of the Western world can't pronounce "Nepal", "Punjab", "Ahmad",
> "Tandoori", etc. properly either.

And particularly frustrating for most Aussies, most of the world
can't pronounce "Aussie". Hehe.

"Aussie"  = "Ozz-ee" ('zz' as in 'buzz')
"Aussie" != "Ossee" (NOT 'ss' as in 'pass')

> (You know the funny thing about Indian accents? There is no *one* accent.
> People from each of the 27 states have a different accent. Some of these
> are totally different from one another.)

Noticable in Australia too, but less so.

Queenslanders tend to have broad, drawn-out vowel sounds. South Australians
tend to have clipped, almost British, tones (or so they seem to us).

As for Victorians, I have no idea how everyone thinks we sound. Ask Isaac.

Of course, with Australia being such an incredibly multicultural country,
more so than most, subtle distinctions like this are much less apparent
these days.

Paul.