was: Re: [thechat] toronto phoons

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Apr 23 09:58:01 CDT 2002

On 23 Apr 2002 at 8:16, matt g posted a message which said:

> Now. Let's move on to the most commonly mispronounced city name in North
> America. That's right, it's New Orleans - the city that care forgot.

I think there are a lot of contenders for that, Matt. Ann Landers (or
was it Abby?) once wrote in her column that the proper pronunciation of
Lima Ohio was "lee ma".  Nope, it's "ly-ma", like the beans.

Louisville Kentucky is pronounced "loov-ull" but Louisville Ohio is
pronounced "Loo We Ville".

Rio Grande, Ohio (home of Bob Evans farms) is pronounced "Rye-Oh
Grand" instead of "Ree-oh Grahn-day".

And I currently live near Lancaster, PA. (Closer to Intercourse and
Blue Ball, but people think I'm jerking them around when I say that.)
Lancaster, Ohio and Lancaster, California were both named for
Lancaster, PA, but they pronounce it "Lan-caster", while Lancaster PA
is pronounced "Lanca-stir".

deke

--
  Do gravediggers qualify for "cost of living" raises?