[thechat] toronto phoons

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Apr 23 12:22:12 CDT 2002

At 10:31 PM 4/23/2002, Paul wrote:
>And particularly frustrating for most Aussies, most of the world
>can't pronounce "Aussie". Hehe.
>
>"Aussie"  = "Ozz-ee" ('zz' as in 'buzz')
>"Aussie" != "Ossee" (NOT 'ss' as in 'pass')

Hey, I know what you're talking about. I studied in Australia (University
of Tasmania) and we had a couple of Americans at our college. The rest of
the blokes kept making fun of the way they pronounced "Aussie" (among other
things.)

>Of course, with Australia being such an incredibly multicultural country,

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I remember reading somewhere that about 25% of the
population were from other countries.

<trivia>

New Delhi, the capital of India, has a population equal to half of the
Australian population.

</trivia>

Regards,

Madhu