[thechat] Stage patter...

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Apr 27 12:55:00 CDT 2002

On Saturday, April 27, 2002, at 06:20  pm, Joe Crawford wrote:

> "i was thinking - um - don't you wish there was like another picture of
> Che
> Guevara? i'm thinking like, it woulda been like one of him at a birthday
> party with a bunch of nine-year olds with milk coming out of his nose
> cause
> he just laughed a joke somebody told."

..and there are plenty of them - I have 3 on my wall:
Che and Fidel
Che laughing with cigar (I think from a TV programme)
Che taking a ladle of water out of a jerrycan labelled 'Agua Fresca'

I've also got a few in my copy of The Motorcycle Diaries, which
is just fantastic - totally debunks the myth of the po-faced, iconic
revolutionary (actually, he never was po-faced - 'Che' roughly
translating as 'mate' (IIRC) which is how he used to address
*everyone*). It's full of escapades of fleeing villages at dawn
to escape the wrath of jealous husbands... well worth a read.

It's also interesting that for a communist country, Castro isn't
the icon you see everywhere in Cuba - Che is, or Jose Martin.
I think I only really saw one public picture of El Jef:
http://www.easyweb.co.uk/pics/cuba/006.jpg
Here's Jose Martin, btw, from the doors of the Habana Capitol:
http://www.easyweb.co.uk/pics/cuba/004.jpg

If you're Canadian, Cuba's well worth a visit.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,