[thechat] Tangent with a Curve

s t e f notabene at members.evolt.org
Mon May 6 03:42:00 CDT 2002

<who="Syed Zeeshan Haider" when="05:04 06/05/02 +0500">
>Hi Lachlan,
>I think, I am not proving myself a good student of Maths. Please give me
>some example for the explanation that you gave. Let I have a point (5,7)
>on a curve, then how I am supposed to draw a tangent on this point.

You're supposed to calculate the derivative at this point, aren't you?
It gives you what we in french call the "directing coefficient" which is
the angle of the tangent on this given point.

Don't ask me for more than that, I've got a hangover and maths are
wayyyyyyyy behind me, a long long time ago.