[thechat] Responsible public list practices

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Tue May 7 14:53:03 CDT 2002

In addition to comments I have already made on [theforum], I would like to
point out that I am now absolutely enraged by something that appeared in my
work inbox today.

I'm sure there are many people that read thelist from work.

If I was caught reading an email list with the most recent porn/spam
subject visible I WOULD BE FIRED ON THE SPOT.
(cf: The message sent to [thelist] on Tue, 7 May 2002 11:13:08 +0200 (MET
DST) by "support at winzip.com")

Let me reiterate that for those that have so far been blase about this topic:

IF I WAS CAUGHT READING A PUBLIC EVOLT.ORG LIST WITH A PORNOGRAPHIC SUBJECT
LINE, I WOULD BE FIRED FROM MY JOB.

Until such time as those few who make decisions regarding mailing list
management realise the social impact of their decisions, I will no longer
be able to contribute to any list that allows non-subscriber posting.

Unfortunately, at this time this precludes me from thelist, thesite, and
until I receive further information to the contrary, theforum and thechat.

If the decision is made to leave in place the current ability for
non-subscribers to post, then I would like to recommend a prominent warning
be placed with any list sign-up explicitly stating that due to list
management, it is highly likely that pornographic material may be received,
and that evolt.org is not suitable (or even legal) viewing for minors, or
those accessing it from their place of employment.

I will still try to check lists from home as I am able, but this will be a
fairly rare occurrence.

This is an extremely personal disappointment, as I have only recently been
able to start contributing to evolt.org in any way.

Seb.