[thechat] Re: Responsible public list practices

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue May 7 16:04:08 CDT 2002

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at members.evolt.org>
> >
> > i have received a number of offlist posts today from people asking
> > me to put the pressure on again -- mostly because they've felt their
> > concerns were glossed over in favor of "gee-whiz"... many of them
> > have never commented because they've seen it dismissed in the
> > archives...
>
> a number? thought it was 'a few'.. anywho. i really don't think i've

i got more.

> 'dismissed' this issue either, the first couple times i explained it
> very carefully just why thelist is the way it is. when the same
> questions which i'd answered came back up, yes, i dismissed them with
> a reference to an archive post..

from today:
"i don't really feel like responding to the rest of this atm, sorry. i am
working on new features if i could ever drop out of my email client
and back into my editor."

that is dismissive... you may not think so, but imagine how seb felt
when his frustration was answered with "i don't ... feel like
responding..."

> > they also contacted me because they know i closed theforum
> > down...
>
> comparing a list thats 1/30th the size, has only been aruond for 6
> months, and doesn't have its address posted in 100 places across the
> internet isn't a really good example aardvark.

i think it is, since that list, which hasn't been around, has fewer
members, and has gotten less spam, had enough members who
wanted it closed... it's a microcosm of where we are with the other
lists...

scale it up, and we've got a problem... to me, it's a *perfect*
example...

anything else?

--
Read the evolt.org case study