[thechat] Responsible public list practices

Bob Davis bobdavis at mac.com
Tue May 7 17:07:00 CDT 2002

(originally sent to admin, but I thought I'd share with y'all too - since
the debate is happening here too)

IMO - if so much as one of our members is in the situation Seb outlined, we
have a responsibility to them to do what we can.

Convenience for some is nice, and we should make attempts to make evolt.org
membership and participation easy. However, for anyone who is in Seb's
situation we're saying that the convenience of a few is more important than
your participation in our group. We want to make it easy for them more than
we want your insights.

If someone spelled it out to you like that would you:

A) Say, "I totally understand, and see your point. I'll just quietly read"

B) Say, "F*** this. I'm out."

It's a total slap.

The consequences of making the lists subscriber only are trivial (and, yes,
this would effect me) when compared to the consequences of a member losing
his/her job over  a subject line.

Add my +1 to all calls to make the lists (all of them) subscriber only.

bob