[thechat] Can somebody Guess this Song?

Miriam miriam at members.evolt.org
Wed May 8 07:02:00 CDT 2002

>> moderate religious people of Pakistan. That genre is Qawwali. Qawwali is
>> a song related to religion and it was invented by Ameer Khusro. We had
>> two prominent names in Qawwali singers, Aziz Mian and Nusrat Fateh Ali
>> Khan. Unfortunately, both are dead. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan experimented
>> in Pop and Classical (of Pakistan) also and became popular in Europe and
>> Far East countries also. Qawwali is my favourite as genre.

Syed, thanks fore letting me know more about that! I love Nusrat Fateh Ali
Kahn! My brother got me hooked on him. I'll have to do some reading today,
and also see what I can find about Aziz Mian. Do you know Alim Qasimov? He's
Azeri, and has a similar sounding music. I saw him in Chicago last week with
Yo Yo Ma, he was terrific. I'll have to learn more about that today, too. :)

best,
Miriam

--
http://www.dynagirl.com