Geetars (was: RE: [thechat] Big stupid plea... Kenya)

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Fri May 10 14:14:01 CDT 2002

At 10:40 AM 5/10/2002, Joel typed:
>So let that be a lesson to ya: if you're gonna *give* away classic,
>irreplaceable musical instruments, ask your loved ones first and save us all
>a lot of anguish.

Ugh. That's awful. My ex-husband has a D18 Martin (I think that's the right
number) that he bought in the early 1970s. He used to play it and was
pretty good in those long-haired hippie days <grin>, but it's been in the
case since the early 1980s except for when I pulled it out a few times to
show the kids and strum it a bit myself.

He was going to sell it when we got divorced  in the early 90s, and
fortunately he agreed to hold onto it in case one of the kids might want to
play it at some point. It's a beautiful guitar with such an incredible
sound. Heck, I'd buy it even though I don't really play guitar just because
I'd like to keep it in the family hoping that someone would eventually play
it, whether a generation or two down the road.

Maybe it's the musician in me, but I have such an appreciation for fine
instruments, whether or not it's one I happen to play (I'm pretty much just
a pianist and keyboard player, although I love to play other instruments
here and there). It makes me so sad to see them either going to waste or
being sold out of a family needlessly (such as Joel who woulda bought his
dad's!). Ugh.

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com