[thechat] Who killed Daniel Pearl...?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu May 16 12:47:01 CDT 2002

You have not been offensive, but in fact you have stated your opinion
about a political situation that involves your country and your
religion.

I think that this kind of communication is vital.  It's the only way
to prevent the dehumanization of one group by another.  By
dehumanizing, we convince people to go to war and murder their
brothers (and sisters and children).

Your words are reasonable.  I agree, except I do not support "war
against terror."  In fact, I think "war against terror" is
doublespeak.  I think war IS terror.  I think you cannot divide up
violence into "good violence" and "bad violence."  It's all violence,
and the effects are the same.  War is very damaging.

As you pointed out, the Taliban were supported by the US for many
years.  The US government has no right to moralize, in my opinion,
for this and many other reasons.

I'm glad for one thing, mostly: that we can practice free speech.
But this is a right we must fight for, and not allow to lapse.

BTW, if you send me your address offlist, maybe I'll send you a
couple of CD's.  Since you never heard of "Hey Jude" I think maybe
you need some Beatles.

"and in the end..
the love you take..
is equal to the love you make.."