[thechat] Zope on a Rope (or shoestring)

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Fri May 17 13:29:04 CDT 2002

At 02:18 AM 5/17/2002, Lachlan typed:

>Simon Dell said:

> >>The largest unit of data measurement I can find is a yottabyte.
> >>
> >>1 yottabyte = 1024 zettabytes
> >>1 zettabyte = 1024 exabytes
> >>1 exabyte = 1024 petabytes
> >>1 petabyte = 1024 terabytes
> >>1 terabyte = 1024 gigabytes
> >
> > I think these words are chosen to sound silly on purpose. The size of
> > the thing being expressed is stupidly big, so it needs a stupid
> > sounding word to accurately describe it.
> >
> > If tera, peta, exa, zetta and yutta are the 1024th multiples of their
> > previous named multiple, what are the 1000th ones called?
> > Are they equally comical? :-)
>
>Well, technically those names are for decimal multiples - ie they only apply
>for thousands, however the computer industry has applied them to 1024, since
>they're so obsessed with powers of 2. So there are no other names for
>1000ths.
>And Shirley- surely you think a civilisation that conquered the known world
>could come up with a better name than yotta? ;)

Well, don't even get me started on silly names for stuff from our brilliant
civilization..... <ROFL>

>The thing is, they never
>needed to count that high, so mathematicians get to make numbers up, like
>the one whose daughter named google. (1x 10^100) I think it was daughter
>anyway, it was so long ago that I read about the naming of that number.
>
>I want a yottabyte CPU & GPU.

Ah, that sounds like heaven. I feel sorry for our future ancestors with
storing all our stuff (provided the world doesn't just blow up first.). :-)

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Website Design, Development      http://www.skdesigns.com/