[thechat] Donner party

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun May 19 19:35:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kath" <Kath at cyber-kat.com>
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [thechat] Donner party

> [snip]
>
> For instance, I had read that the first Harry Potter book was called
"Harry
> Potter and the Philosopher Stone," but when they released it in America,
> they changed the title to "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone," because
> they thought no one in America would know what a Philosopher Stone was.

<pedantic>

It's Sorcerer's and Philosopher's, as in the Stone that belongs to the
Sorcerer/Philosopher, not a Sorcerer/Philosopher type of Stone ... (perhaps
that would make more sense either way?) ...

</pedantic>

That aside, I'm unsure why the name was changed - usually _we_ in the UK
have to bear the dumbed down name changes, e.g. Reindeer Games (with Ben
Affleck and Gary Sinise) became Deception, due to its being released in the
height of summer over here, and the studio thought people would get
confused.

So it's interesting to see it turned on its head ;)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'