[thechat] beards...(was.)..I am going nuts

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue May 21 11:37:00 CDT 2002

Chris Marsh wrote:
> Don't know about this, but I have just split with
> She-Who-Must-Be-Ignored, so MY beard-ban has lifted. I'm not sure yet
> which configuration to go for, but I'm pretty sure that current
> anti-beard feelings notwithstanding I will commence sprouting soon.
> Perhaps we should have a thechat beard contest? Any others up for
> posting pictures in four weeks to six weeks time to see how wild we can
> get?

I've had a big red beard for the last 10 years, so I might have a head
start on y'all.  I live in the Northwest US though and its a pretty
facial hair friendly place.  My city councilor has a beard, the govenor
has a big mustache, my congressional representative has a mustache.
It's pretty well accepted here.

And my wife has never seen me without a beard.  We met 9 years ago and I
already had a beard and have never shaved it off.  I periodically
threaten to get up early one morning, shave, and crawl back into bed
just to scare her.  I shaved once in college just to frighten my dorm
mates, which it did.  I have a genetic defect that causes me to not have
a chin, so I have to make up for it with a beard.  I swear, without the
beard my face stops right below my bottom lip.

I keep my beard short during the summer so this isn't the right time of
year for me to enter the contest.  Wait until January though and I'll
give anyone a run.  Big beards are great for snowboarding.  They keep
your face warm and collect all sorts of snow and ice.  I've got hair
down to the middle of my back as well, so I start looking like a Yeti
when the wind is whipping around and snow encrusted everywhere.  Nothing
like scaring the ski bunnies.

Back to work now,
Judah