[thechat] beards...(was.)..I am going nuts

Chris Marsh chrism at puffofsmoke.net
Tue May 21 11:37:02 CDT 2002

> > Don't know about this, but I have just split with
> > She-Who-Must-Be-Ignored,
>
> I really hope this is a Rumpole reference ;)

Yup, bastardisation of. Wondered if anyone would notice :)

> >  so MY beard-ban has lifted. I'm not sure yet
> > which configuration to go for, but I'm pretty sure that
> > current anti-beard feelings notwithstanding I will commence
> > sprouting soon. Perhaps we should have a thechat beard
> > contest? Any others up for posting pictures in four weeks to
> > six weeks time to see how wild we can get?

[..]

> So, if I ever circumvent the local resistance forces, I'll go
> head to head
> (heh) with any of y'all in a beard-growing contest. Yes,
> Miriam, Mish, other female evoltistas, I'm including you,
> too. I'm not sexist about beards.

Definitely not. I once noticed a fragment of crisp stuck in my next door
neighbour's moustache. I'm sure she didn't know it was there, though...

> Our VP of Marketing had a Herculean robust manly beard; a
> perfect specimen. He was on a business trip in New York on
> September 11th. By the time the airlines started running
> again, he'd decided *not* to look *too* manly, so it's long gone.

The last proper beard I had started out as laziness, then looked quite
smart when trimmed, then I decided not to touch it for three months. By
the end I desperately wanted to get rid of it because of the discomfort,
but it simultaneously held an almost hypnotic fascination for me. I
think the longer it got, the more I wondered how long it *could* get.
When I eventually shaved it looked as though I'd lost half my face, but
girls started talking to me again which was nice.

Regards

Chris Marsh