[thechat] Function of "Fn" Key

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at hotpop.com
Sat May 25 16:19:00 CDT 2002

Hello Everybody,
I have Microsoft Natural Keyboard with my PC. Today I got a very strange
problem. I pressed Fn+F1, Fn+F2, Fn+F3 successively to see what
happens... and the keyboard stopped to respond on any key hit. I checked
all system and hardware profiles. Everything was all right. I removed
Keyboard from Control Panel>System>Device Manager and restarted it.
Windows 98 SE system automatically detected keyboard and installed the
right drivers. When I noticed that none of my struggles are succeeding
to bring the key board back to work, I shut down the PC and started it
after about 6 hours. Now it's alright. The evidence is this post, which
is being typed on the same PC with the same keyboard.
My questions are:
1.    What is the function of "Fn" key? (On my keyboard, it is on the
right side of right-hand side "Shift" key.)
2.    Can you guess the problem with the keyboard, which I encountered?
3.    How did the keyboard came back to work?
Thank you,
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/